Friday, May 9, 2014

“And this wasn’t lying, not really. It was leaving out.”

In the absence of sleep my dreams fled. There was no more past or future- just the now. The magical realism that had saturated my days was lost.

I have recently returned to sleeping.  And like the consuming sinkholes I now dream of -- my dreams pull me back into unknown times and cause witness to previously unimagined forms of omission. 

These are not the nights of golden slumbers.

Some mornings, I awake to effervescent sunlight dappling my duvet and I time travel. I feel your warm breath on the back of my neck and tucked inside the protective spoon of our love, I have an overwhelming sense of hope.

Then I realize this is the residue of a dream and that you are, actually, lost to fates unknown.

I dream of careening cars that move backwards through time and space and I frantically try to avoid hitting obstacles or harming people as I glance in the rearview mirror.  In those dreams I cannot turn to look back, but must face forward capturing only stolen glimpses of what is next.

I dream of forgetting that I am in therapy and arriving to a first appointment with a psychologist to find my most hidden secrets written in sharpie markers on the consultation room walls.

I dream of lyrical motorcycle rides. Rides on beautiful bikes that metamorphose into steampunk dragons that lunge at cars and men in suits, as I try to steer a safe course and do no harm.

And then I dream of sinkholes; of pedestrian moments turned into abject terror, as normalcy is swallowed without warning into nothingness.


Those are the most terrifying- a silent and sudden loss of the known. From normal to not.  And unless you knew what preceded the peaceful tableau before you- you might never realize what had been lost.

2 comments:

  1. This is why writing is so wonderful, important, and powerful. Through writing, we can fully explore and redefine our dreams without losing ourselves completely. In the now, we can hold our dreams in our hands and manipulate them without being manipulated by them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this beautiful statement :)

    ReplyDelete